Chichester Cathedral is a classic Norman building with its round arch windows and west facing twin towers.
The cathedral’s history dates back to 681 when Saint Wilfred brought Christianity to Sussex.
He established a Cathedral in Selsey, near Chichester.
In 1076 work on building the present cathedral was begun.
The stone for the cathedral was initially brought from the Isle of Wight, and then from Normandy in France.
A spire was faintly added in the 15th Century but this collapsed after 400 years, only to be replaced by today’s spire by the Victorians.
17th February 1861 Collapsed spire at Chichester Cathedral, Chichester, West Sussex.
Parish Church of St Peter the Great, on the corner of West Street and Tower Street, was completed in 1852